- Try warming the food slightly in the microwave, which will make the food more aromatic.
- Offer cooked chicken breast, turkey breast, or lean hamburger
- Offer a canned/wet food
- Add beef/chicken broth to your pet’s water bowl to make it more appealing.
FOR CATS: Try offering any type of smelly foods that contain fish or tuna or smelly cat foods. Baby food is also an option in chicken, beef, turkey or veal flavors.
- your pet has been fasted prior to surgery
- pets do not eat well during hospital stay
- they are on pain medication that can cause constipation
We recommend giving your dog a few tablespoons of pumpkin if your dog has not had a bowel movement by the 4th day. (Pumpkin can be found at your local grocery store)
If an orthopedic surgery has been done, cold packing the surgical site may be helpful. A cold pack may be a pack of frozen peas, crushed ice in a Ziploc bag, or a cold gel pack. Make sure to use a thin barrier, such as a towel or washcloth between the skin and the cold pack.